We will try our best to tansfer bookings due to Covid-19 related issues, however, we do require at least 24 hours notice to process these. Unfortunately, if we are given less than the required 24 hours notice, we will be unable to process this for you due to having a small admin team.
Transfers are subject to availability.
Please note – we are unable to transfer or refund tickets due to bad weather. If the weather will impact the quality of your day, we recommend holding off on booking until 24 hours before you plan to visit as the weather reports will be more accurate then.